Optometry Forums


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

Acuvue Oasys - Best solution?

 
 
desulliv@seidata.com
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      09-07-2006, 05:21 PM
Everyone,

I was just fitted with the new Acuvue Oasys lens and I must say it is
EXTREMELY comfortable.

However, I was wondering what is the best multi-purpose solution to use
to care for these lenses?

My doctor recommended that I use Renu Multiplus, but I noticed on the
bottle that it's not specifically recommended to silicone hydrogels.
Is this OK, or should I be using something else?

(I questioned the doctor on this and he said that he really wasn't
sure, that he's always just recommended Renu to everyone - regardless
of lens dispensed.)

Locally, I've got access to Renu Multiplus, Optifree Replenish, AMO
CompletePlus and Ciba Aquify.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

- Denver

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
William Stacy
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      09-07-2006, 07:13 PM
I prefer optifree express (replenish is newer, but probably not as good
as the older express formulation) for silicone lenses. DO NOT use
generics on silicone lenses. I haven't recommended RENU for many years,
for any lens type.

w.stacy, o.d.

http://www.optometryforums.com/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Everyone,
>
>I was just fitted with the new Acuvue Oasys lens and I must say it is
>EXTREMELY comfortable.
>
>However, I was wondering what is the best multi-purpose solution to use
>to care for these lenses?
>
>My doctor recommended that I use Renu Multiplus, but I noticed on the
>bottle that it's not specifically recommended to silicone hydrogels.
>Is this OK, or should I be using something else?
>
>(I questioned the doctor on this and he said that he really wasn't
>sure, that he's always just recommended Renu to everyone - regardless
>of lens dispensed.)
>
>Locally, I've got access to Renu Multiplus, Optifree Replenish, AMO
>CompletePlus and Ciba Aquify.
>
>Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
>
>- Denver
>
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
ArsenalFire
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      09-09-2006, 03:25 AM
I agree, anything but ReNu or store brands and generics. I prescribe
Opti-Free, Complete, Aquify, and Clear Care in that order, with the
final choice based on the patient's tear film and lid functioning,
along with their history.

 
Reply With Quote
 
The Real Bev
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      09-11-2006, 07:51 PM
ArsenalFire wrote:

> I agree, anything but ReNu or store brands and generics. I prescribe
> Opti-Free, Complete, Aquify, and Clear Care in that order, with the
> final choice based on the patient's tear film and lid functioning,
> along with their history.


What's wrong with Renu? It's what my three opticians have recommended
for three different kinds of softies.

--
Cheers, Bev
===========================================
Lawyering: the only profession that if you
didn't have it you wouldn't need it.

 
Reply With Quote
 
The Real Bev
Guest
Posts: n/a

 
      09-12-2006, 09:21 PM
Anon E. Muss wrote:

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>ArsenalFire wrote:
>>
>>> I agree, anything but ReNu or store brands and generics. I prescribe
>>> Opti-Free, Complete, Aquify, and Clear Care in that order, with the
>>> final choice based on the patient's tear film and lid functioning,
>>> along with their history.

>>
>>What's wrong with Renu?

>
> Nothing really.
>
> I really haven't noticed much difference between all the multi-purpose
> solutions (MPS). Most of the time I prescribe Complete, OptiFree and
> ReNu and patients seem to do well with either of them.
>
> There may be some theoretical advantages that some companies say their
> MPSes have over others, but I haven't seen any trends that make any of
> them a clear-cut winner.
>
> So with them all being "about the same", which ones do I tend to
> prescribe? The one whose parent companies are the nicest to me --
> IOW, the ones who liberally supply me with samples to give patients to
> try prior to me prescribing a system. I'm not gonna jump through
> hoops to obtain samples. B&L (ReNu), AMO (Complete) and Alcon
> (OptiFree) have been the easiest to deal with in the past.
>
> I avoid store-brand and generics because there is no guarantee of
> consistency in formulations. I want to know what I am prescribing and
> store-brand/generics can change formulations at the drop of a hat.
>
>>It's what my three opticians have recommended for three different
>>kinds of softies.

>
> The reason ReNu was/is prescribed so much is its universal
> availability and its (former) #1 most popular MPS status.


I use either real Renu or the Costco/Kirkland clone -- I figure they're
not going to sell crap. My last optician looked at the lenses I'd been
wearing for several months under a microscope and pronounced them clean
and untorn. I've used enzyme tablets a couple of times, but couldn't
tell the difference between before and after. So far, so good.

--
Cheers, Bev
================================================== ====
All the toilets were stolen out of the police station.
The police have nothing to go on.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Breathability of Acuvue 1-day Moist Vs. Acuvue Oasys Spockie Hendrick Optometry Archives 1 07-09-2008 06:17 AM
AcuVue Toric material same as AcuVue Oasys or AcuVue 2? Visa Inquirer Optometry Archives 0 01-29-2008 06:17 PM
acuvue oasys -- BC other than 8.4?? tjh42@mybluelight.com Optometry Archives 13 12-04-2005 06:09 PM
Acuvue Advance and Oasys stevek Optometry Archives 5 09-10-2005 04:24 AM
Acuvue Oasys - soon? keith Optometry Archives 42 07-25-2005 03:15 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:43 AM.