Cataract Surgery Problems

Discussion in 'Laser Eye Surgery' started by tcc8372@gmail.com, Sep 2, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Help


    54 year old male had cataract surgery on left eye in July. All was
    GREAT for 3 1/2 weeks. I followed instructions for eyedrops ,
    gradually reducing dosages as instructed. About 3 1/2 weeks after
    surgery woke up with eye extremely irritated and vision very cloudy.
    Rushed back to doctor and they discovered eye was inflamed and
    increased dosage of Econopred to 4 times a day and told me to stay at
    that level. Now 2 1/2 weeks later still wake up with extremely cloudy
    vision in left eye which gradually clears up as day progresses. Is this
    what I have to look forward to the rest of my life ???? I wouldn't have
    had the surgery if I had known this. I'm still on the 4 dosages of
    Econopred daily and doesnt seem to be helping ???? Anyone else had this
    trouble ????
     
    , Sep 2, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. wrote:
    > Help
    >
    >
    > 54 year old male had cataract surgery on left eye in July. All was
    > GREAT for 3 1/2 weeks. I followed instructions for eyedrops ,
    > gradually reducing dosages as instructed. About 3 1/2 weeks after
    > surgery woke up with eye extremely irritated and vision very cloudy.
    > Rushed back to doctor and they discovered eye was inflamed and
    > increased dosage of Econopred to 4 times a day and told me to stay at
    > that level. Now 2 1/2 weeks later still wake up with extremely cloudy
    > vision in left eye which gradually clears up as day progresses. Is this
    > what I have to look forward to the rest of my life ???? I wouldn't have
    > had the surgery if I had known this. I'm still on the 4 dosages of
    > Econopred daily and doesnt seem to be helping ???? Anyone else had this
    > trouble ????
    >

    NO. something is wrong and you need to get to the bottom of it. Are
    you sure you have been thoroughly shaking the bottle just before you
    instill it, and are getting at least one full drop in the eye?

    w.stacy, o.d.
     
    William Stacy, Sep 3, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. Ace Guest

    wrote:
    > Help
    >
    >
    > 54 year old male had cataract surgery on left eye in July. All was
    > GREAT for 3 1/2 weeks. I followed instructions for eyedrops ,
    > gradually reducing dosages as instructed. About 3 1/2 weeks after
    > surgery woke up with eye extremely irritated and vision very cloudy.
    > Rushed back to doctor and they discovered eye was inflamed and
    > increased dosage of Econopred to 4 times a day and told me to stay at
    > that level. Now 2 1/2 weeks later still wake up with extremely cloudy
    > vision in left eye which gradually clears up as day progresses. Is this
    > what I have to look forward to the rest of my life ???? I wouldn't have
    > had the surgery if I had known this. I'm still on the 4 dosages of
    > Econopred daily and doesnt seem to be helping ???? Anyone else had this
    > trouble ????



    Cateract surgury is *not* elective. My grandmother has cateracts and
    her vision is 20/200 because of them. Shes too old to get the surgury
    and isnt interested either. See your doctor for the reason why your
    vision is still blurry
     
    Ace, Sep 5, 2006
    #3
  4. Guest

    David Robins, MD wrote:

    > Ace, I don't think you know what you're talking about.


    :)

    Ace is studying to take Otis' place.
     
    , Sep 6, 2006
    #4
  5. Guest

    Thanks for the info and help folks. Heres my status

    As of today, nearly 8 weeks after removal of cataract from left eye,
    Doctor informs me the eye and cornea are badly inflamed. I'm to use
    Nevanac three times a day and Prednisolone Acetate Ophthalmic
    Suspension every two hours through the weekend and be back in his
    office Monday morning

    Yes the Doctor made it very clear before surgery it was totally
    elective, my choice. And when the cloudiness is not there, in the
    afternoons, its the best thing I've ever done. But if I had any idea
    I'd be having this problem, not sure I'd have had it done.
     
    , Sep 8, 2006
    #5
  6. Roy Starrin Guest

    On 8 Sep 2006 13:39:23 -0700, "" <>
    wrote:


    >As of today, nearly 8 weeks after removal of cataract from left eye,
    >Doctor informs me the eye and cornea are badly inflamed. I'm to use
    >Nevanac three times a day and Prednisolone Acetate Ophthalmic
    >Suspension every two hours through the weekend and be back in his
    >office Monday morning
    >
    >Yes the Doctor made it very clear before surgery it was totally
    >elective, my choice. And when the cloudiness is not there, in the
    >afternoons, its the best thing I've ever done. But if I had any idea
    >I'd be having this problem, not sure I'd have had it done.


    My cloudiness took about 6 months to clear up.
    As far as what is going on with inflamed eye, most insurance programs
    will provide for a 2nd opinion. If you are not getting
    anwers/results, or are not satisfied with what you are hearing, get
    one.
    I got 3
     
    Roy Starrin, Sep 9, 2006
    #6
  7. MandyPandy Guest

    David Robins, MD wrote:
    > On 9/5/06 12:19 PM, in article
    > , "Ace"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >
    > > wrote:
    > >> Help
    > >>
    > >>
    > >> 54 year old male had cataract surgery on left eye in July. All was
    > >> GREAT for 3 1/2 weeks. I followed instructions for eyedrops ,
    > >> gradually reducing dosages as instructed. About 3 1/2 weeks after
    > >> surgery woke up with eye extremely irritated and vision very cloudy.
    > >> Rushed back to doctor and they discovered eye was inflamed and
    > >> increased dosage of Econopred to 4 times a day and told me to stay at
    > >> that level. Now 2 1/2 weeks later still wake up with extremely cloudy
    > >> vision in left eye which gradually clears up as day progresses. Is this
    > >> what I have to look forward to the rest of my life ???? I wouldn't have
    > >> had the surgery if I had known this. I'm still on the 4 dosages of
    > >> Econopred daily and doesnt seem to be helping ???? Anyone else had this
    > >> trouble ????

    > >
    > >
    > > Cateract surgury is *not* elective. My grandmother has cateracts and
    > > her vision is 20/200 because of them. Shes too old to get the surgury
    > > and isnt interested either. See your doctor for the reason why your
    > > vision is still blurry

    >
    > >

    > Ace, I don't think you know what you're talking about.
    >
    > 1. Cataract surgery IS elective. That means your you do it WHEN it reaches a
    > point YOU need it done. Except in extreme cases, cataracts do not damage the
    > eye or make you go blind. This is different from something else, say a
    > serious cardiac problem, where the surgery is really not elective, because
    > if you don't have it, you will die. The non-elective cataracts are ones that
    > are provoking a glaucoma attack, or where it precludes examining or treating
    > the eye, such as laser photocoagulation for diabetic retinopathy hindered by
    > the cataract.
    >
    > 2. You are virtually never "too old" to have cataract surgery. You may be
    > too sick to undergo the stress, but not too old. My own oldest cataract
    > patient so far was 102 years old. Is that old enough for you? I frequently
    > operate on people in their 90's.
    >
    > 3, This has nothing to do with the 54 year old patient's problems mentioned
    > above. Sounds like he still has inflammation, which should be treatable and
    > hopefully gradually resolve. Surgery is ALWAYS a situation of risks, and you
    > can never know what will happen in one's own individual case beforeheand.
    >
    >
    > David Robins, MD
    > Board certified Ophthalmologist
    > Pediatric ophthalmology and adult strabismus subspecialty
     
    MandyPandy, Sep 9, 2006
    #7
  8. Guest

    Problem still not cleard up, Returned to Doctor today. He;s now
    saying I have

    Fuchs' Corneal Dystrophy

    Should'nt he jave detected this before surgery ?????
     
    , Sep 28, 2006
    #8
  9. Probably should have, if he looked for it. Unfortunately, sometimes the
    endothelium gets screwed up in cataract surgery from thermal or physical
    trauma.

    w.stacy, o.d.

    wrote:

    > Problem still not cleard up, Returned to Doctor today. He;s now
    > saying I have
    >
    > Fuchs' Corneal Dystrophy
    >
    > Should'nt he jave detected this before surgery ?????
    >
     
    William Stacy, Sep 28, 2006
    #9
  10. Guest

    Well , 11 weeks after surgery now


    Did get second opinion from one of leading Cornea specialists in the
    country.

    He confirmed the Coronary Dystrophy and said Doc number 1 was treating
    it correctly. Said give it two months and if not cleared up by then
    maybe another surgical procedure might be in order.

    Pains finally gone away, just cant see out of the eye in the morning.
    But by afternoon its cleared up a good bit. But then next morning it
    starts all over again. Very very discouraging cause vision was crystal
    clear for 3 ½ weeks after surgery.

    Guess I just want to warn folks to get TWO opinions anytime you're
    told you need surgery on your eyes. And when you're told procedure is
    99% problem free, well if you're the 1% your life can be pure hell.
    Be careful
     
    , Oct 13, 2006
    #10
    1. Advertisements

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. JXStern

    Tiny pupil days after cataract surgery

    JXStern, Jul 14, 2003, in forum: Laser Eye Surgery
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    1,636
    JXStern
    Jul 21, 2003
  2. Rodent

    Cataract surgery lens implant problems...help!

    Rodent, May 21, 2004, in forum: Laser Eye Surgery
    Replies:
    12
    Views:
    846
    John Doe
    May 28, 2004
  3. Replies:
    0
    Views:
    457
  4. Glenn Hagele - USAEyes.org

    Free Cataract Surgery - Cataract Free America

    Glenn Hagele - USAEyes.org, Dec 5, 2008, in forum: Laser Eye Surgery
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    2,481
    Glenn Hagele
    Jan 3, 2009
  5. blindasabatuntillasik

    Post Cataract Surgery Problems

    blindasabatuntillasik, Dec 1, 2012, in forum: Laser Eye Surgery
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,199
    blindasabatuntillasik
    Dec 1, 2012
Loading...

Share This Page