What can increase IOP?

Discussion in 'Optometry Archives' started by squinty, Oct 20, 2007.

  1. squinty

    squinty Guest

    What physical motions can increase IOP? Valsalva and lowering the head
    relative to the body seem fairly evident, but what other kinds of
    motions/efforts could increase the pressure?

    Let's say, for example, that I lifted a heavy weight, but NEVER closed
    my airway or breathed fast enough to significantly increase the air
    pressure in my lungs. Assume a reasonably constant vertical body
    position. Is there some mechanism that could increase IOP under this
    condition, and if so, what might that be?

    TIA....
    S
     
    squinty, Oct 20, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. squinty

    Guest

    Dear Squinty,

    Subject: Increase in Inter Ocular Pressure.

    Accommodation (for near) can increase IOP -- as demonstrated
    by Dr. Francis Young.

    Best,

    Otis

    On Oct 19, 10:16 pm, squinty <> wrote:
    > What physical motions can increase IOP? Valsalva and lowering the head
    > relative to the body seem fairly evident, but what other kinds of
    > motions/efforts could increase the pressure?
    >
    > Let's say, for example, that I lifted a heavy weight, but NEVER closed
    > my airway or breathed fast enough to significantly increase the air
    > pressure in my lungs. Assume a reasonably constant vertical body
    > position. Is there some mechanism that could increase IOP under this
    > condition, and if so, what might that be?
    >
    > TIA....
    > S
     
    , Oct 20, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. squinty

    spammer Guest

    On Oct 20, 1:35 pm, "" <> wrote:
    > Dear Squinty,
    >
    > Subject: Increase in Inter Ocular Pressure.
    >
    > Accommodation (for near) can increase IOP -- as demonstrated
    > by Dr. Francis Young.
    >
    >


    Taking any advice from this idiot can raise IOP and have other
    terrible effects as well.
     
    spammer, Oct 21, 2007
    #3
  4. squinty

    squinty Guest

    On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 17:40:59 -0700, spammer <>
    wrote:

    >On Oct 20, 1:35 pm, "" <> wrote:
    >> Dear Squinty,
    >>
    >> Subject: Increase in Inter Ocular Pressure.
    >>
    >> Accommodation (for near) can increase IOP -- as demonstrated
    >> by Dr. Francis Young.
    >>
    >>

    >
    > Taking any advice from this idiot can raise IOP and have other
    >terrible effects as well.


    Thanks for the heads-up. He's not entirely wrong, but I am interested
    in fast and large pressure changes typical of strong Valsalvas, severe
    vomiting, etc. A number of things can produce smaller changes or
    longer-term changes.

    Anyone venture a guess, even?

    S
     
    squinty, Oct 22, 2007
    #4
    1. Advertisements

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Gert Masline

    iop in children

    Gert Masline, Aug 28, 2003, in forum: Optometry Archives
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    292
    Gert Masline
    Aug 29, 2003
  2. Charles

    Can lasik be used to increase myopia

    Charles, Mar 25, 2005, in forum: Laser Eye Surgery
    Replies:
    26
    Views:
    967
    The Real Bev
    Mar 31, 2005
  3. fine
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    451
  4. NIEQ100
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    393
    A Lieberma
    Sep 9, 2006
  5. James Howard
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    362
    Neil Brooks
    Dec 17, 2009
Loading...

Share This Page