Chalazion Surgery - afterwards

Discussion in 'Laser Eye Surgery' started by Steven Wu, Feb 5, 2004.

  1. Steven Wu

    Steven Wu Guest

    Hi All,

    I think I had a Chalazion surgery - the doctor didn't explain me what
    I had and what I was going to have. (my eyelid became inflamed after
    having sties, compresses and medication didn't work, he said he'll
    remove the "fatty tissue" that accumulated there). Anyway, after doing
    the surgery, which had local anasthesia and took around 10 minutes,
    the Dr. just vanished without explaining me what's going on.
    It's been 2 days ago, and my eye is still swollen, hurts much more,
    and there's constantly puss coming out (couldn't open my eyes when I
    woke up). In general I don't feel so well either. is this normal?? can
    this be expected two days afterwards or shall I go to the ER? I can't
    seem to locate my dr.!

    Please help,
    Steven Wu, Feb 5, 2004
    1. Advertisements

  2. Steven Wu

    Cavaliers Guest

    I had a chalazion once too and it entailed going to the ER for the 'little
    surgical procedure' and then for many days for i/v antibiotics. Go there
    and get treatment.
    Do not mess around with this infection. I hope you get help soon.
    Cavaliers, Feb 5, 2004
    1. Advertisements

  3. Steven Wu

    Dr. Leukoma Guest

    (Steven Wu) wrote in
    Heck, man, you might have a case of cellulitis and you don't feel so well
    because of the endotoxins from the staph bacteria. You need to get to an
    ER for some oral antibiotics - and STAT.

    Dr. Leukoma, Feb 6, 2004
  4. After chalazion surgery, one generally needs to keep up the hot compresses
    to complete the emptying-out process. Antibiotics topically as drops or
    ointment may be needed. In general, it is not a good idea to empty out the
    chalazion while it is actively infected. Once it quites down, it is easier
    to get most of it out, and minimize chances of infection spreading to the

    Sounds like you do have an infection now. Probably neede hot soaks combined
    with topical antibiotic (like polysporin ointment, etc) and perhaps and oral
    aaent, like AUGMENTIN (good for the staph that often causes this).

    See a doctor real soon - strange you can't locate yours.
    David Robins, MD, Feb 6, 2004
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.