Computer / Everyday glasses advice needed.

Discussion in 'Glasses' started by setamp, Dec 3, 2003.

  1. setamp

    setamp Guest

    I normally wear RGP lenses but like to wear glasses from time to time
    for a week or so.

    My prescription is:

    O.D. -5.25, -.75, 55
    O.S. -6.00, -.50, 155
    Add 150

    I have tried progressives in the past and could never adjust to them.
    I wear "lined" bifocals which work well except for computer work (I
    spend from 7am to 5pm at a computer).

    I recently got the above new prescription and am now considering
    having a pair of "computer" glasses made for my work and another pair
    for general use.

    Should I have computer glasses made with some "Add" on top and my
    reading prescription on the bottom? How much should the top add be?

    Is there an alternative to visible line bifocals other than

    Are there specific lens manufaturers that I should look for? Specific
    lens materials? Antireflective coating?

    setamp, Dec 3, 2003
    1. Advertisements

  2. setamp

    Jan Guest

    First off all you have to realize that switching between RGP lenses and
    glasses comes with some acuity problems.
    It is not possible to give an exact prescription after wearing RGP
    contactlenses shortly before, this has to do with the influence on the
    cornea by the contactlenses.
    In other words, there are differences in measurement each time you take the
    lenses out, sometimes bigger differences some times lesser.
    This also depends on how long your lenses are out when measuring.
    Often there are no big problems in vision aquity but some people are not
    comfortable with these changes in refraction and the belonging aquity
    You have to accept compromises!

    Answering your question about "other" glasses I can tell you that there are
    special computerglasses with above a power belonging to the computerdistance
    and in the direction bottom a gliding power till nearby, kind of multifocals
    so to say but with some wider view angles as in normal multifocals.(at least
    in the Netherlands whe have)

    May be this helps,

    Jan (normally Dutch spoken)
    Jan, Dec 3, 2003
    1. Advertisements

  3. setamp

    Dr Judy Guest

    It depends on how far your monitor and your reading material are from your
    eyes. If you can arrange your work space so that the monitor and reading
    material are at the same distance (move monitor closer or use copy stand
    beside monitor for paper reading material) then you can get by with single
    vision computer glasses.

    Sit comfortably at the computer and have someone measure the distance from
    your eyes to the screen, the keyboard (if you are not a touch typist) and to
    whereever you usually place reading material. The distances determine what
    add to use on the top and whether an additional reading prescription is
    needed on the bottom. Take the distances to your eye care provider and
    he/she can calculate what powers are needed.
    Two pairs of single vision glasses, one for near, the other for far.

    There are special computer progressives that place the intermediate
    (computer) power in the centre of the lens, then progress to a small reading
    area on the bottom and degress to an even smaller "distance" (defined as
    6ft) area on the top. If you didn't adapt to progressives, you may not
    adapt to those either.

    Dr Judy
    Dr Judy, Dec 4, 2003
  4. I disagree with this part of your comments. There are many of us who
    find lined bi- or tri-focals more comfortable than progressives.

    Terry Orchard, Dec 9, 2003
  5. Well, when I started needing multi-focals about 3 years ago at age 51,
    I was put into varilux panemics, which wasn't an old design, and
    seemed to be a reasonable recommendation. (-6.00 in each eye, with
    +0.75 cyl in one eye, and +2.00 add). I never liked them and switched
    to trifocals.

    On the other hand, I am considering trying them again. :) Because it's
    getting so the only time I use the trifocals is when I'm "out", either
    driving, or socializing, shopping, etc. I've given up using the
    trifocals at the computer, even for short periods of time (which I was
    trying to do when I first tried progressives). And I find that
    indoors, I end up using my +1.5 add SV computer glasses for almost
    everything. I have enough adaption left to read comfortably (and I
    tend to read at close to the same distance as the screen, anyway). And
    slightly blurry across the room doesn't seem to bother me. May not be
    the "standard" approach, but it works for me.

    Anyway, progressives might work fine for what I now use trifocals for,
    so I am considering trying another pair.

    Who says I have to be consistent?

    Terry Orchard, Dec 11, 2003
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.