Contact lens exam from Optometrist and/or Ophthalmologist

Discussion in 'Contact Lenses' started by sclind, Nov 4, 2005.

  1. sclind

    sclind Guest

    I need to have an annual exam for glaucoma, so I just completed a visit
    to my ophthalmologist. He gave me a complete eye exam and gave me my
    eyeglass prescription.

    When I asked about getting the prescription for my contacts, he said
    I'd have to see an optometrist (presumably the one in his office) to
    get that; that it was a different exam. I asked if I would save some
    money since I already had an eye exam (I have to assume the exams are
    at least similar), and the answer was no.

    In all the time I've had contacts, I've never had to go to two
    different doctors. Is this a new way of operating (I'm in Illinois),
    or just a way for the MD to generate revenue for an affiliate?

    sclind, Nov 4, 2005
  2. sclind

    Dr. Leukoma Guest

    It's called "specialization."

    It is a different CPT code. The glaucoma exam is a 99*** code, whereas
    the contact lens fitting is a 92*** code. These are the codes that are
    submitted to the insurance companies for billing.

    Dr. Leukoma, Nov 4, 2005
  3. sclind

    Dom Guest

    Ophthalmologists specialise in eye disease, optometrists specialise in
    vision. There's a lot of overlap, but you'll get the best result if you
    go to the 'specialist'. So see your ophthalmologist for glaucoma and see
    your optometrist for contacts.

    It may be that the optometrist doesn't like to use the eye exam from the
    ophthalmologist because as far as the success of contacts is concerned,
    the buck stops with him/her so he wants to start from scratch with the
    measurements etc. This is certainly how I operate if someone comes to me
    wanting contacts, even though they've just had another eye exam
    somewhere else recently... I would start from scratch.

    Dom, Nov 5, 2005
  4. sclind

    sclind Guest

    Dom -

    Thanks for the advice. I certainly understand what you're saying,
    especially if the patient just came in with a eye exam of questionable

    But with these two Doctor's working together, it seems there ought to
    be some way to help out the patient as far as the cost of the eye exam
    is concerned.

    sclind, Nov 7, 2005
  5. sclind

    Dr. Leukoma Guest

    Or just let the OD do both, which is what they are trained to do.
    Otherwise you're wasting money.

    Dr. Leukoma, Nov 13, 2005
  6. sclind

    Dan Abel Guest

    Or just let the OD do both, which is what they are trained to do.
    Otherwise you're wasting money.[/QUOTE]

    Just curious. Do you treat glaucoma?

    I don't know where you are at. In California, where I live, an OD can
    get a special license to prescribe medicine. My private practice OD did
    Dan Abel, Nov 13, 2005
  7. sclind

    Dr. Leukoma Guest

    Yes, I treat glaucoma, and everything else covered under my license,
    including orals.

    Dr. Leukoma, Nov 14, 2005
  8. sclind

    Dan Abel Guest

    Interesting. My OD made a big point of the fact that he took the
    training, took the test, passed the test and got the special license. I
    really don't know any other details.
    Dan Abel, Nov 14, 2005
Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.