Corneal Transplant for Keratakonis at Kaiser? at a Teaching Hospital? other options?

Discussion in 'Optometry Archives' started by DrScott, Dec 13, 2003.

  1. DrScott

    DrScott Guest

    What would you do...............?????????????

    After first being diagnosed with Keratakonis in 2000 (at a LASIK
    center) I was referred to Dr. Richard Forrester at the Bascolm Palmer
    Eye Institute in Miami. Dr. Forrester is a world class eye surgeon who
    has trained some of the country's finest eye surgeons.

    My Keratakonis cone is so steep in my left eye that I can no longer
    wear contact lenses. I was told yesterday that I must have a corneal
    transplant. I was told there is an 85% success rate but there is also
    a 5% chance I could lose my sight completely in my eye as a result of
    surgical complications.

    I have Kaiser insurance and was referred to a young corneal transplant
    specialist who has had first class training at some of the country's
    finest hospitals. He completed his residency in 2000 and has only done
    40 corneal transplants. I can get referred to a more experienced older
    surgeon in Kaiser or I can seek out a surgeon with world class
    credentials outside of Kaiser.

    I had back surgery three years ago and sought out one of the nation's
    top back surgeons. I was admitted to a teaching hospital and after I
    was put to sleep I do not know if the surgery was performed by my
    "world class" surgeon or a resident. The outcome was favorable but I
    never saw the surgeon again.

    So .. do I go to a well trained young surgeon with only 40 procedures
    under his belt ... he does about 2 a month ... or do I go to an older
    surgeon who has a few hundred procedures under his belt?

    What would you do and why?

    Please reply to ... thank you all.
    DrScott, Dec 13, 2003
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.