correction for monovision

Discussion in 'Eye-Care' started by Ann, Oct 26, 2003.

  1. Ann

    Ann Guest


    Can anyone advise me?

    I have only one eye, having had the other removed 15 years ago because
    of malignant melanoma. The remaining eye was short sighted and
    glasses or contacts of -5.5 worked fine. My eyesight has continued to
    get worse and I now need -6.5 but if I have glasses of that strength,
    I can no longer see close things to read. Is there anything I can do
    other than getting bifocals or varifocals? I don't want to go that
    way because I already have no depth perception and so I'm hopeless
    with stairs and I'm told that bifocals would make it ever worse.

    I've also been advised not to have corrective surgery because of the
    risks with only having the one eye to mess around with. I'm guessing
    there's nothing I can do to get round this.

    Ann, Oct 26, 2003
    1. Advertisements

  2. Ann

    Jan Guest


    You might consider a bifocal contactlens based on the simultaniously
    Maybe it works for you, ask a professional face to face.
    He or she can show you what is not possible by internet.
    Two pair of glasses is also possible and give you the best view but it is
    not so handy as bifocals or multifocal glasses.
    Most of my "one eyed" clients use the multifocal glasses solution BTW and
    are very comfortable with it.

    Jan (normally Dutch spoken)
    Jan, Oct 26, 2003
    1. Advertisements

  3. Ann

    Otis Brown Guest

    There are no "good" answers.

    You could get a 1 diopter under-prescription for most
    use, and a full "correction" for distant vision when

    Otis Brown, Oct 27, 2003
  4. Ann

    Jan Guest

    Your answer is a good one Otis and infact Ann already pointed out that she
    was under-corrected by wearing -5.50 instead of the needed -6.50.
    Indeed Otis, one diopter undercorrected for the long distance vision.

    Jan (normally Dutch spoken)
    Jan, Oct 27, 2003
  5. Ann

    Dan Abel Guest

    I'm guessing that the change from -5.5 to -6.5 is not the problem. You
    didn't give your age, but most people cannot see both near and close with
    the same correction, once they reach a certain age.

    Their is actually a solution to this problem called monovision (the
    subject of your post) but it requires two eyes.

    The two solutions that I have used are to use two different pairs of
    glasses, one for far and one for close, or to wear contacts for distance,
    with OTC reading glasses used for close. I tried bifocals, but they
    didn't work for me. I think the fact that I was -12 in one eye was a
    Dan Abel, Oct 27, 2003
  6. Ann

    Ann Guest

    Wow thank you everyone. It's given me something to work on. I do
    wonder how I can find an optician in the UK with knowledge like this.
    I've not been impressed so far with any I've met. But I'll give it a

    Ann, Oct 27, 2003
  7. Ann

    Mark A Guest

    If one gets Trivex safety lenses, that would be a good idea if a 1.53 index
    lens is acceptable in terms of thickness. Trivex is available as Hoya
    Phoenix and Younger Trilogy brand names.

    However, as a person who is amblyopic, and has tried polycarb lenses in both
    single vision and progressives, the lack of distortion is more important
    than tensile strength and impact resistance if you drive a car. The odds of
    losing your vision because of your lenses not being safety lenses are
    infinitely smaller that the odds of being injured or killed in a traffic
    accident CAUSED BY distorted vision that is characteristic of polycarb
    lenses. Polycarb lenses are about the worst optical quality you can get,
    although the problems are not as bad in low power lenses.

    An eye care professional who gives advice to someone with impaired vision in
    one eye, and does not warn about safety lenses, is considered to be
    negligent (despite what they might really believe to be the truth).

    However, I am not an eye care professional. But I have never met an eye
    care professional who has amblyopia or even knows what it is like to have it
    (despite what they think). This is just my personal opinion being amblyopic
    and having worn glasses for about 50 years.
    Mark A, Oct 28, 2003
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.