Dramatic change in eye prescription

Discussion in 'Eye-Care' started by salehjoon, Jun 16, 2012.

1. salehjoon

salehjoon

Hi Everyone,

I had an appointment with a new optometrist about a month ago. He examined my eyes and we ordered a new pair of RGP contacts. Today I was comparing my new eye prescription with my prescriptions from 5 years ago and noticed a dramatic change in the new sphere and cylinder numbers. The new numbers are so different that I think there might have been a mistake. I'm especially curious to know why the numbers are so different because, after looking at my old prescription (from 2010), the doctor said that my eye numbers have not changed but slightly.

2012:
    Right Sphere: -5.50
    Left Sphere: -6.50
    Right Cylinder: +2.25
    Left Cylinder: +2.25
    Right Axis: 089
    Left Axis: 088

2010:
    Right Sphere: -3.25
    Left Sphere: -3.00
    Right Cylinder: -3.00
    Left Cylinder: -3.00
    Right Axis: 175
    Left Axis: 180

2008:
    Left Sphere: -3.00
    Right Cylinder: -3.25
    Left Cylinder: -3.00

2007:
    Left Sphere: -3.50
    Right Sphere: -3.00
    Left Sphere: -2.75

Could someone tell me if the 2012 numbers are anywhere close to the previous prescriptions?

salehjoon, Jun 16, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. salehjoon

Iceping

Dear Salenjoon,

Do you realize that the cylinder power on 2012 is in plus '+' sign if compare to prescription (Rx) in previous years which is in minus ' - ' sign. Actually if you wan to compare these Rx, you have to done some mathematics calculating which is known as transposition. After transpose your 2012 RX will be:

Left Sphere: -4.25
    Right Cylinder: -2.25
    Left Cylinder: -2.25
    Right Axis: 179
    Left Axis: 178

So if we compare to the previous year RX, there is only a significant increment of -1.00D for your sphere power. However your left cylinder power decrease. I don't know what is the main cause of the power changes. (Maybe ocular health or RGP contact lens fitting). As conclusion, if we take equivalent power (sphere + 1/2 cyl), i think there is no significant difference in your left Rx between 2012 and before. So not need so worry about.

Iceping, Aug 12, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. salehjoon

wearegood

Yeah, I agree with iceping. There are quite strange for people who saw the great changes on their RX. Actually it is another express of your doctor. During processing, they will transfer them into another way.

wearegood, Aug 28, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question