Edges of objects outlined in rainbow

Discussion in 'Glasses' started by Hell0, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Hell0

Hell0

Hi,

I wear prescription glasses for nearsightedness, and the experience I'm having with my lenses looks like this:

If I pick an object (that has an edge) to focus on, then turn my head, keeping my eyes on the object, it's edges will likely be highlighted with blue/violet on one side, red/orange/yellow on the other. If I turn my head to the left side, the left side of the object's edge (a tree trunk, in this case) is highlighted with the yellow rainbow side, and the right side of the trunk edge is highlighted blueish. The same colors but on opposite sides when I turn my head to the right.

What could be causing this?

Thanks for reading!

Hell0, Feb 28, 2017
    1. Advertisements

2. Hell0

man0fsteel

This is called chromatic aberration. From all my research over the years (I have fairly high nearsightedness), the material used to make the lenses has a lot to do this how much of this color separation occurs. There is a physical property of the material called the abbe value. The higher the better. I first noticed the same thing when I got a set of glasses made with polycarbonate lenses, which from what I've read, has a low abbe value.

*disclosure* - I'm not an eyecare professional

man0fsteel, May 15, 2017
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question