Essilor Varilus Ipseo New Ed.

Discussion in 'Glasses' started by Mardon, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Mardon

Mardon

I'm 67 years old and have worn progressive bifocals for almost 30 years. I recently had an eye test and was fitted for new glasses based upon that prescription. I told the optician that my main goal was to have as wide a field of vision as possible for distance viewing. They recommended Essilor Varilus Ipseo New Edition lenses with Crizal coating. They used a Humprhries visual field analyser during the fitting process.

I am very unhappy with the glasses because of the extremely narrow field of sharp vision. It is not at all consistent with the wide field vision that they promised these lenses would have. These lenses are probably the narrowest progressive lenses I've ever had for distance viewing. When I look at a distant object through the 'sweet spot' of the lenses, the prescription is dead on; sharp and well focused. If I look only a couple of degrees to the side without turning my head, the image begins to blur. I have noticed that there is an area along the extreme top edge of the lens that is only ~3 mm wide that has good distance focus across almost the entire width of the lens. But this area is so extremely narrow vertically as to be of little practical use.

I have no idea if this is relevant but my wife was watching when they preformed the Humphries visual field analyser test and she says that my head was tilted down in an atypical position when I did the test. I didn't realize that at the time and she only mentioned it after I told her my lenses aren't very good.

The optician doesn't have anything to offer other than to say that these are the best lenses available and that they have the widest field of vision available for distance viewing. At this point, I've kind of given up and am wearing my old glasses.

Suggestions and comments would be much appreciate.

Mardon

Mardon, Nov 5, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question