general question - no-medical

Discussion in 'Optometry Archives' started by kemccx, Feb 8, 2005.

  1. kemccx

    kemccx Guest

    How does one go about getting their records from one doctor to take to
    another? Do they get the actual documents or copies? Is the entire
    record supposed to be given to the patient? I'm planning on switching
    opthomologists, and am unsure of what to do. Thanks
    kemccx, Feb 8, 2005
    1. Advertisements

  2. wrote in
    This is either handled as a request from your new doctor to your old
    doctor, after you sign a release. Alternatively, you can ask your doctor
    for copies of your whole chart. The office is entitled to a "reasonable"
    fee for this service to cover their copy expenses.
    Scott Seidman, Feb 8, 2005
    1. Advertisements

  3. kemccx

    Dr Judy Guest

    Either you can ask your current doctor to send them to the new, or the new
    doctor can have you sign a record release and request them from the old

    The physical records belong to the current doctor, so either a summary or a
    copy of the documents is sent. If it is a long record, likely a copy will
    be sent. The current doctor can charge a reasonable fee to cover the cost
    of fetching, copying and mailing the records.

    Dr Judy
    Dr Judy, Feb 8, 2005
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.