Help with a blurry spot

Discussion in 'Optometry Archives' started by Nat P, Jul 31, 2003.

  1. Nat P

    Nat P Guest

    I hope this is the right forum for this message - I reviewed some
    other posts and it seems appropriate. My apologies if not.

    I'm looking for some advice about seeing an eye doctor.

    I'm 26 years old, don't wear glasses, and have very good vision (well,
    I can generally see better than my wife who wears minor-adjustment
    glasses). I have never had an eye checkup. I'm a computer programmer,
    so I spend the entire working day in front of LCD screens. I never
    find myself straining to see onscreen. My mother, sister and father
    all wear glasses.

    For the last couple of years, I've caught myself squinting when I look
    at things far away. I've been trying to figure out why I do it. When I
    intentionally don't squint, I notice only a very slight change in
    vision quality. I can still see very well, both near and far, but I
    always find myself squinting at far away sights.

    My right eye is noticably worse than my left. Sharp details get a
    little blurred at 50 feet in my right eye. However, I might just be
    paranoid about that.

    Th most interesting thing is that I have a pretty significant nick on
    my right eye. It looks like a smear of vaseline - a little darker,
    blurry patch. It's very small, and I don't notice it unless I'm
    staring at a large smooth surface, like a blue sky or a while wall.
    The blur spot has not gotten worse, but I do not remember when it
    showed up, even though I've had it for many many years. It's just
    below center in my field of view.

    I'm trying to figure out if my current condition warrants a visit to
    an eye doctor, and if so, what kind of doctor and for what kind of
    visit. Can I just go to an eyeglass shop and get a vision test, or do
    I need to schedule something more involved? What kind of price should
    I be expecting? (I have no vision insurance.)

    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

    -Nat Papovich
    Nat P, Jul 31, 2003
    1. Advertisements

  2. Nat P

    Rishigg Guest

    Very simple: if you visit an eye doctor and he prescribes glasses (or
    whatsoever else) be sure you will start a life of nightmares.

    If your doctor prescribes you rest, following some modern school of
    thought that believes in effortless effort, like Bates, then you are
    fortunate and you can learn easily how to work at screen without strain
    your mind, which is a thing that now happens to you because of your
    ignorance about vision.

    Search ne net for rest methods related to vision. There are several
    interesting websites.

    Of course, you have to do the work, not your doctor.

    "As surely as any soldier ever died on the field, Dr. Bates gave his
    life for a cause, battling against fate, during many years of
    magnificent struggle, when the unending disappointment finally broke in
    hopeless despair. His torch is still burning. There will come some other
    battler, who is fit, and will hold it high until the people who are
    sitting in darkness have seen its great light."
    William B. MacCracken, M.D.
    (1937, Berkeley CA)
    Rishigg, Jul 31, 2003
    1. Advertisements

  3. Nat P

    Kimi Guest

    I think you should just start by seeing an eye doctor for a traditional
    eye exam. See what he says and see where your vision is at. No
    worries, just have it checked out to see if you need correction and to
    solve your curiosity about the spot on your right eye.
    Kimi, Jul 31, 2003
  4. Nat P

    Rishigg Guest

    Experience, just experience.

    Experience is awareness.

    If you haven't got awareness, it is useless to talk about experience.

    But I do not think that all the readers are stupid like you are.

    I hope someone can understand that there is more just behind the corner
    of your mischiefs.
    Rishigg, Jul 31, 2003
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.