monocular diplopia

Discussion in 'Eye-Care' started by PaulSmith120, Sep 3, 2011.

1. PaulSmith120

PaulSmith120

Hi, any thoughts would be welcome.

At the age of 14-15 I started to have multiple irregular ghost images in both eyes (and haze, starbusts, halos etc..).Not quite as bad as this: (can't post link- the 2nd image down on the Keratoconus wikipedia page) but at night it's not a million miles away.It really can be very difficult to read at night sometimes. After some time, the changes stabilized and so, after not having much luck at the opticians and doing some internet research, I just assumed that it was some relatively minor corneal aberration exacerbated by my naturally large pupils and let the matter lie.

Anyway,more recently, 15 years on, the images started to progress and change and, after mentioning this to a friend who works at the eye hospital, he offered to perform a corneal topography, which, to my surprise, turned out to be normal (I have the precise results if that will help) (I assume that even very minor Kerataconus would be unmissable with a corneal topography?). I had the usual array of other tests (and a recent Specsavers checkup) presumably ruling out early cataracts (?) and both ophthalmologists I saw seemed stumped. I expected to be told that it was relatively trivial, but to at least be given some kind of explanation, but 15 years on, still no answers!

Having had the issue for this long, and having been examined twice at the eye hospital, I'm not too worried and at this point I'm only really asking out of curiosity, But I do have one more appointment soon so if there is anything I can mention or ask, that would be most appreciated. Does anybody have any ideas what is possible/likely to be the cause? .At any rate, pinholes correct the problem so I assume that it is a cornea or lens issue? Is it possible that my very large pupils are exacerbating what would be an otherwise minor degree of aberration?
    Many Thanks

Paul

PaulSmith120, Sep 3, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. PaulSmith120

BernardS

If the CornealT showed no irregular astigmatism and the lens is clear, it would be due to diffraction caused by large pupils specially in dim light. Pupils tend to become a little smaller at older age so it might get better.

BernardS, Sep 17, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. PaulSmith120

eyedr1996

Have you had an orbscan or a pentacam done? It checks for third and fourth order aberrations (nearsightedness and astigmatism are first and second order aberrations). A regular corneal topography only checks for astigmastim irregularities. You would have to have these done at a Laser center or at an ophthalmologists office that does advanced cataract procedures or Lasik.

eyedr1996, Sep 18, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question