Need help: distorted vision w/new glasses

Discussion in 'Glasses' started by lurker1, Sep 7, 2006.

  1. lurker1

    lurker1 Guest

    Hopefully, someone can help me with my situation. I have a large(!!)
    head, making it difficult to find frames that fit. I finally found a
    large tag heuer frame (link below) that fits, but when I got my
    polycarbonate lenses, my vision was distorted. My optician just
    ordered me new 1.67 hi-index lenses (similar to ones I had in my old
    glasses, which had much smaller frames). My prescription is -3.75 in
    both eyes, PD = 70, CYL = -50, Axis = 180/175.

    What kind of lens should I get to minimize distortion and still let me
    keep these frames??


    lurker1, Sep 7, 2006
  2. lurker1

    drfrank21 Guest

    The problem is not totally due to your new frames but rather
    the polycarbonate lenses so hopefully your hi-index lenses
    that you just ordered should be better. There still might
    be a little adaptation due to your larger frame but it should
    be much better once you get out of the polycarbs.

    drfrank21, Sep 7, 2006
  3. lurker1

    Mark A Guest

    As mentioned by others, the problem is with the polycarb, the worst optical
    lens material that is commonly dispensed. It should be avoided like the

    Normally, a 1.60 index lens would be thin and light enough for your -3.75
    Rx, and would have better optics than the 1.67. But the 1.67 would be a
    little thinner (especially at the edges) and lighter than 1.60, and I don't
    know important the small difference would be be to you.
    Mark A, Sep 7, 2006
  4. lurker1

    lurker1 Guest

    Should I make sure that the lenses are also aspheric? I've been
    reading that that would also reduce distortion? Any specific brands I
    should ask for?

    Thanks to all who've responded so far.
    lurker1, Sep 7, 2006
Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.