Polarized contact lenses?

Discussion in 'Contact Lenses' started by aparker22, Jul 3, 2006.

  1. aparker22

    aparker22 Guest

    I've been reading here quite a bit lately, and thought some of you
    have something to say about this.
    With all the advancements in contact lenses, especially the recent
    ""nike sport tint"" stuff, I think it would be possible
    to create a polarized filter on contact lenses.

    Basically, you'd need a toric lens with the toric weighting, but +0.0
    cylinder (unless, of course, it's needed for correction). I suppose
    there's some difficulty that would be involved in actually applying the
    filtration: you'd either need to apply some kind of coating, or
    somehow figure out how to align things when the lenses are cast..

    It seems that polarized lenses are good for cutting down on glare, and
    might be comfortable enough for all-around use..

    Anyone think this would be a good idea?
    aparker22, Jul 3, 2006
    1. Advertisements

  2. aparker22

    LarryDoc Guest

    A nice idea but not at all practical to do. Nearly impossible, actually
    as you would need to fuse a polarizing layer to the existing lens and
    then, as you mentioned, stabilize the rotation.

    A much better and easily accomplished solution is to wear polarized
    sunglasses over regular contact lenses.

    FYI, we do have tinted lenses in any shade or density and even
    photochromic RGP lenses that get darker outside and clearer inside.

    LB, O.D.
    LarryDoc, Jul 3, 2006
    1. Advertisements

  3. aparker22

    Quick Guest

    Ummm, just how thick does a polarizing layer need to
    be to work?

    Quick, Jul 3, 2006
  4. aparker22

    Charles Guest

    Whoa. Is this widely available, or only in specific applications? In
    other words, what are the odds of a lens like I currently have being
    available in "transitions"?

    Do they look weird/creepy when dark?

    Charles, Jul 3, 2006
  5. aparker22

    Salmon Egg Guest

    Polaroid film is much thinner than the sandwich used to protect the flimsy
    film. Technically, what is needed is a birefringent (preferably uniaxial)
    material that is highly absorbing along one crystal axis but clear in the
    other. Tourmaline is such a material. Other materials might be something
    like the needle like crystals of some dyes. The original work by Land used
    such crystals. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polaroid. Dyes tend to have
    very strong absorption so that little thickness is required.

    -- Ferme le Bush
    Salmon Egg, Jul 3, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.