Progressive lenses and computer use

Discussion in 'Glasses' started by JcWoman, Dec 31, 2014.

1. JcWoman

JcWoman

I'm in the "getting used to" period of new progressive glasses. I have normal eyes with age-related presbyopia, and need my glasses only for reading. But for me, reading=computer. I'm on the computer 10-12 hours a day. I admit I'm struggling with these glasses quite a bit, but also trying to be patient and wearing them for all my computer/reading time. While I am impatiently getting used to them, I've been reading about progressives online and have some questions, semi-technical that I'd like to ask someone in the field of optometry.

I understand the way the lenses are designed, with the distance section on the top, midrange in the middle and near use on the bottom. I have also seen diagrams showing those sections and how the midrange area is smallest. I seem to have read that this is for some technical reason related to how the lenses are graduated to eliminate the visible line.

Here's my question: has there been any research into alternate designs to allow for a larger mid-range section? I, like many people, use a large computer monitor. At home I have a 25-inch (diagonal) monitor and at work I use two 19-inch monitors side by side. This means that in order to read the whole area of my screen(s), I have to turn my head from side to side. Also, because of the large size of the monitors, I have to move my crane my head back rather alot to read the top of the screens, and this is with them lowered as much as they'll go. I've read online that this is normal for progressive use. But am I wrong in thinking that reading a computer shouldn't be like watching a tennis match? If the mid-range area was wider, it would reduce the amount of head-motion needed for using large computer monitors.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
    JcWoman, Dec 31, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. JcWoman

JcWoman

Sorry for replying to myself, but wanted to add another question.

Two days ago I went back to my optometrist for an adjustment. They don't have any computer screens like I have in their office, so I thought ahead and took a couple of iPad photos of myself using my computer at work. They clearly showed me craning my neck back and peering through the bottom of the lenses. The optometrists response was to adjust the nose bridge so that they sit more on top of my nose. That made it a little better but it seems to me now I'm using the near-range portion of the lenses to see my computer. Or is it possible the midrange section is too low?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2015
    JcWoman, Jan 2, 2015
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question