Smeared Vision - No Lasik

Discussion in 'Laser Eye Surgery' started by jeffnelson3, Sep 17, 2006.

  1. jeffnelson3

    jeffnelson3 Guest

    Hi, for a couple of months, I've been having trouble with my right eye
    in lower light situations. I see a 'smeared' or almost double vision
    of light objects against dark backgrounds in only one eye. For
    example, at night if my headlights light up a car's license plate on a
    otherwise dark streat, I'll see a smear of light and part of the
    license plate above it.

    I went to my optometrist and he wasn't able to find anything wrong. I
    do have corrective lenses. I have not had lasik or any eye surgery or
    eye damage that I know of. I think the 'smearing' is getting worse.
    Can anyone offer any suggestions? Should I see another eye doctor?
    jeffnelson3, Sep 17, 2006
    1. Advertisements

  2. jeffnelson3

    serebel Guest

    Of course you should see another doctor. Don't know what your age is,
    but you are describing how cataracts progress.
    serebel, Sep 17, 2006
    1. Advertisements

  3. jeffnelson3

    jeffnelson3 Guest

    I'm only 27. I've always had a little bit of a smear. But lately it
    is a lot worse. Should I see a opthamologist or an optomitrist? Thank
    you for replying, this makes be nervous.
    jeffnelson3, Sep 17, 2006
  4. jeffnelson3

    Charles Guest

    I suggest going to an opthamologist. They will dialate your and eyes
    give them a good examination for any kind of eye disease. Even though
    you are young it could be a cataract.
    Charles, Sep 17, 2006
  5. I agree that a visit to an ophthalmologist (medical eye doctor) is in
    order. Your choice may be limited by your medical insurance, however I
    recommend you consider the ophthalmic department at a university
    related teaching hospital. They tend to have the advantage of several
    sub-specialists all in one location.

    Glenn Hagele
    Executive Director
    Patient Advocacy Surgeon Certification

    "Consider and Choose With Confidence"

    Email to glenn dot hagele at usaeyes dot org

    I am not a doctor.

    Copyright 2006
    All Rights Reserved
    Glenn -, Sep 17, 2006
  6. jeffnelson3

    serebel Guest

    Try not to fret so much. So very much of what can go wrong with one's
    eyes are very treatable. Wonderful strides in eyecare are being made
    every day.
    serebel, Sep 17, 2006
  7. jeffnelson3

    Salmon Egg Guest

    I was going to say the same thing. I am not a vision or medical pro.

    One thing you can try is to make a pin hole from aluminum foil or other
    opaque material. At night place it in front of your eye as close as is safe
    and convenient. While watching a small light at a distance, move the pinhole
    transversely to the line of sight. If the image clears up or moves as you
    move the pinhole, that would suggest that you are indeed developing a

    -- Fermez le Bush
    Salmon Egg, Sep 17, 2006
  8. jeffnelson3

    Charles Guest

    Is it not just astigmatism? That sounds like what I see uncorrected.
    I take it the optometrist was unable to fix the situation with lenses?

    Charles, Sep 17, 2006
  9. jeffnelson3

    Charles Guest

    That sounds possible too but I don't think diagnosis by Usenet is
    indicated in this case ;) He should get examined by an opthamologist
    for his peace of mind. He indicated he is nervous.
    Charles, Sep 17, 2006
  10. jeffnelson3

    Dr. Leukoma Guest

    Since this "smear" only happens in low light, it is most likely optical
    in nature, i.e a problem in the cornea or the lens. A problem with the
    macula would be present in all lighting conditions. I have never had
    to turn the lights down to diagnose a problem with the macula.

    I would recommend seeing an optometrist who has an instrument called a
    topographer. Not only can an optometrist dialate the eye and check for
    eye disease, but optometrists are typically better at diagnosing
    optical problems.

    Dr. Leukoma, Sep 17, 2006
  11. jeffnelson3

    Jan Guest

    At your age and being male it is possible you are suffering from

    An optometrist or an ophthalmologist can recognize this by using a
    cornea-topograph or a keratometer.

    Remember , this is internet, diagnoses can not be performed, only
    suggestions can be made.

    Jan (normally Dutch spoken)
    Jan, Sep 17, 2006
  12. jeffnelson3

    Ace Guest

    I have the same problem in my right eye! Its called irregular
    astigmatism, I have topographies of that. What is your BCVA in each
    eye? Mine is 1 line worse in the right eye.

    RGP contacts will address this if you can tolerate them. OrthoK may
    help reduce irregular astigmatism and give you a more even, flatter
    cornea. Maybe even PTK will work, but as a last resort.
    Ace, Oct 12, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.