Vision

Discussion in 'Eye-Care' started by thisguy, Sep 13, 2011.

1. thisguy

thisguy

My vision is great. However, I can blur my vision at will. Can anyone tell me how this is possible?

thisguy, Sep 13, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. thisguy

thisguy

still me

mostly I want to know if it's like a muscle thing... maybe an eye muscle... which to me sounds rediculous but after skimming random sites I am at a loss for an answer... which almost never happens. The internet is good to me.... So yeah this not having an answer is bothering me! I know this is not something that isn't normal because it does not affect my daily life. This is something that I do of my own volition. Please, Help.

thisguy, Sep 13, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. thisguy

BernardS

Accommodation

What you're describing my friend is called: Accommodation; it is mostly involuntary (some people can accommodate voluntarily though)

When we look at near objects - the brain signals a smooth muscle in the eye (called the ciliary muscle and controls the shape of lens) to contract, this causes the lens of the eye to become rounder and kinda fatter and that will give us a clear near vision. When we look far ahead for distance the muscle relaxes causing the lens to become flatter and that gives us a focused distance vision.

What you're doing is essentially accommodating- and changing the focus, or more accurately, bringing the focus closer to your eyes, therefore things get fuzzier beyond that point.
    Try these couple of things: first look at a distant object, blur it, hold the blur and then slip another object such as a pen in your line of vision and closer to you, you'll see that it is clear/er. Also try to hold something very close to your nose and you'll see that you can't really blur it or at least not for too long. That's because accommodation is limited (and gets worse as we age)

Anyway nothing wrong with accommodating and it's normal- hope that helps.

BernardS, Sep 15, 2011
  4. thisguy

Andrewjohn

Actually its just what perspective you look at... ive figured it out, its like you put you finger up to you eye (dont touch it) your concentrating on your finger instead of the background of it, (vice versa) or you could be not paying attention and your pupil focuses on nothing at all.

Andrewjohn, May 22, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question