What type of lens?

Discussion in 'Optometry Archives' started by kecctime, Feb 28, 2006.

  1. kecctime

    kecctime Guest

    My prescription is Distance: -2.25 left eye, -2.25 right eye, for
    reading it is +2.00 right and left (add +2.50 for progressives).

    My reading without glasses is good. My intermediate vision is poor with
    or without my current glasses. Distance vision poor. What's a good
    option for this type of situation: single lens for distance and take
    them off to read OR a progressive bifocal. How well would the
    progressive address the intermediate area?

    kecctime, Feb 28, 2006
    1. Advertisements

  2. kecctime

    Mark A Guest

    Mark A, Feb 28, 2006
    1. Advertisements

  3. kecctime

    Mark A Guest

    A progressive lens does address the intermediate area, whereas a bifocal
    does not (it is basically 2 SV lenses stuck together). However, if you have
    never worn progressives, they take some getting used to (accommodation) and
    the intermediate area of the lens is relatively small. You need to be
    motivated to wear progressives, but once you adapt they will usually become
    second nature. Find a reputable optician that gives you a 30 day exchange
    warranty if you don't like the progressives and want to switch to SV or

    Whether or not you need a lens for intermediate vision depends on a number
    of lifestyle factors, such as how much computer work you do and how far the
    monitor is from your eyes. If you use a computer, I would measure the
    distance of your eyes to your monitor. Keep in mind that most reading powers
    at optimized for about 13 inches.
    Mark A, Feb 28, 2006
  4. kecctime

    acemanvx Guest

    maybe get bifocals and use the upper part for distance, the lower part
    for intermediate and peak under your glasses or take them off for
    acemanvx, Feb 28, 2006
  5. kecctime

    CatmanX Guest

    And get a sore neck from tilting your head to see the computer.\

    Ace aces another one.

    dr grant
    CatmanX, Feb 28, 2006
  6. kecctime

    acemanvx Guest

    If hes only -2.25 he could forgo glasses for the computer if he sits a
    foot and a half from the monitor. If this is too close, he can get a
    weak pair of -1 glasses just for the computer and sit 32 inches away.
    Thats what I do, use a seperate pair for the computer
    acemanvx, Feb 28, 2006
  7. kecctime

    kecctime Guest

    I can read the computer that I'm working at if I take my glasses off.
    Frequently, I have to look at
    associates' work on the screen while looking over their shoulder. This
    is the distance at which I
    have a problem. I can't read the screen with or without glasses. I
    would guess it's probably a distance
    of about three feet.
    kecctime, Mar 1, 2006
  8. kecctime

    acemanvx Guest

    Then move closer to their screen so you can see without glasses
    acemanvx, Mar 1, 2006
  9. kecctime

    CatmanX Guest

    Yes I find it very comfortable to sit 45cm from the screen. It makes
    typing really easy.

    You are still stupid Ace.

    dr grant
    CatmanX, Mar 1, 2006
  10. kecctime

    acemanvx Guest

    Only with a minus lens or getting closer than your natural near point.
    If someone is -2.25 and sits 45cm or further away, he uses up no
    accomodation and doesnt strain the eyes. Its like optical infinity for
    his eyes.
    acemanvx, Mar 2, 2006
  11. kecctime

    kecctime Guest

    I spend about 10 hours a day on a computer. I can see the screen fine
    with glasses and
    can read without the glasses. The problem is distance vision and
    intermediate, by which I
    mean anything after about 4 feet or so. I may just go with a single
    vision lens for distance
    and take the glasses off while working. Of course, when I have the
    glasses on I can't read
    so I'll have to take them off to read. What a quandry!
    kecctime, Mar 2, 2006
  12. kecctime

    David Combs Guest

    Why not simply get BI-focals -- bottom for the computer
    screen, top for distance.

    "Executive" type of bifocals: the "line" being uncurved,
    going straight across the lens. Thus you look far left
    and far right by swivelling (sp?) the EYEBALLS (ie, easy!
    fast!!), rather than with progressives, where you
    have to swivel your HEAD.

    Also, with BIG computer screens getting cheaper day by day,
    you want a WIDE "sweet-area" (ie in-focus area), and
    the widest you can get is from edge to edge of each
    lens, thus the need for "executive"-style bifocals.

    Trifocals? Near, mid (ie computer), far?
    Problem is that that mid section is by far the
    smallest of the three, not high enough to see
    all of a 20inch screen at one time.

    This presbyopia -- there ain't no free lunch.

    If your own inside-the-eye lens will no longer
    easily change shape (ie curvature, ie focus),
    then if you want things in focus, you need
    such a lens *outside* the eye.

    Wanting to glance fully left and right eliminates
    progressives (which enable you glance
    "up and down" eg a road you're sitting
    on, glance moving from your toes out along
    the road out to that distant semi heading
    towards you.

    Too bad that the geometry of surfaces works
    that way.

    David Combs, Mar 30, 2006
  13. kecctime

    Quick Guest

    I don't think you can "focus" on the whole 20 inch
    screen at one time anyway, can you? While looking
    at a period in the center of the screen I can't read text
    3 or 4 inches above or below it. It's well into "peripheral
    vision at that point. My 20" screen is 32" from my nose.

    At 32" just how big is that "sweet spot"?

    Quick, Mar 30, 2006
  14. kecctime

    Dan Abel Guest

    Still, if you have single vision glasses set for 32", you just move your
    eyes around. With trifocals or progressives with a tiny mid section,
    you have to move your whole head around. That gets old *really* fast,
    like in 10 minutes. There's no way I'd put up with that for long term
    use. I would probably get bifocals, with a very large upper area set
    for middle distance, and a small segment on the bottom for reading (I
    very often read printed materials while using the computer, at least for
    short times).
    Dan Abel, Mar 30, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.